Monday, December 31, 2012

New Source Introduction

America's God and Country is a self proclaimed encyclopedia of quotations put together by William Federer. This book contains quotations from men and women who were vital throughout America's history from Christopher Columbus to George H. W. Bush. The quotes are pulled from speeches, diaries and letters and are all cited in the book's enormous index. I am going to be using this as a reference tool as I read about our presidents. As I have written before, bias is something we need to be aware of, and this book has a lot of it. Not the kind of bias where an author is ragging on someone or praising someone to a fault, but bias of omission. The quotes in this book only made it here because they mention God and this leaves us with a very positive and religious angle of all of the men and women quoted. Speeches and quotes need to be balanced with action and virtue.

With the help of this encyclopedia and the future biographies I read, I am trying to get a balanced view of these men. Did their lives really reflect their pious vocabulary? Were they really exhibiting the values and morals of the Bible? I think this will be a very helpful reference and cut down on some of the time I have to take searching for primary sources floating around out there.

All glory to Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment