Tuesday, February 5, 2013

God Made a Farmer



Amidst a storm of horribly inappropriate commercials during this last Superbowl Sunday was a tribute to farmers by Dodge. It stands out as the most serious and heartfelt commercial I can remember during a Superbowl. But I'm not sure of my thoughts on it yet. My hesitation comes from the knowledge that many Americans will take for granted that God and farmers go together because of some sort of cultural affiliation and nothing more. God made farmers, stay and home moms, and business men alike! Please see my other post on pursuing God no matter what vocation you end up in. We are all born in sin and are separated from God apart from faith in Jesus Christ. Associating farming with faith can be dangerous for future generations and give people the wrong idea of Christianity as an American conservative cultural characteristic rather than a real life changing encounter with a living God. Yet, I still am thankful for farmers and they deserve a tribute from those of us who benefit from their hard work. In that way I enjoy this ad and the heart behind it. Give it a view and see what you think. I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

2 comments:

  1. This one caught my attention too. Having grown up on a farm it totally pulled my heartstrings. What Harvey describes here is what I saw first hand in the men I grew up around. I have couple objections though.

    First objection: Instead of stemming from creation (Harvey says: "the eighth day"), the sufferings of a farmer (and all men) come as a result of the fall and God's curse upon man. There weren't any dying colts or heavy lifting or excruciatingly long work weeks in the Garden.

    Second objection: I'm not sure if this guy is preaching or not but nonetheless, he's talking to people about God, and what he is saying isn't true. That's a serious and fearful thing.

    The bottom line: Dodge did a good job of targeting a broad base of nominal Christianity in order to generate some emotion and hopefully sell a few trucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was writing my post I was trying to think of a way to talk about the fall and I think you said it perfectly. Sin and the fall are to blame for the hardships and back breaking work that farmers do not God. It didn't have to be this way. Hard work is a constant reminder of the fall that should point us back to our cursed state and the need for redemption.

      "Thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you; and you shall eat the plants of the field.
      By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken..." Genesis 3:18-19a

      Delete